REVIEW: THe Hundred Thousand Kingdoms (The Inheritance Trilogy) by Nora K. Jemsin

The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms - N.K. Jemisin

Written in first person, the book deals with the arrival of Yeine in the city and palace that holds the family that rules the world. She is part of that family as well, though as a distant relative she doesn't expect much from her visit.

That turns out to be a mistake as she is made heir to her grandfather who rules the entire thing and from this point the story begins.

At it's core, the story is a mystery novel set in a fantasy world. We follow Yeine as she encounters the gods and godlings that dwell in the palace and she tries to figure out the how and why of her predicament.

The prose is solid, as is the description of the world. The plot is decent and not predictable, which is a good thing. The characters are memorable as well.

Yet despite all that, I didn't really enjoy this book. It's because I don't care much for the theme. All-powerful gods always make everything the non godly characters do seem so pointless, and every plot twist needs a slew of caveats to blunt the gods near omnipotent power from being used. Yeine is basically dragged through the plot, because there is very little she can actually do (which makes sense considering the setting, but it's not very exciting).

Final verdict

As the story began in this book, also ends in this book, I'll try the next one as well. I can recommend reading this, as my only gripes with it are only a matter of personal taste.