REVIEW: The Blinding Knife (The Lightbringer Series) by Brent Weeks

The Blinding Knife - Brent Weeks

This review assumes you read The Black Prism.

The story continues from the first book. Our hero Gavin is losing his powers while his son is gaining them as they prepare for war against the Color Prince.

Apart from advancing the plot, it also does well in revealing more of the world. The previous book painted the False Prism War through mention of the people who took part and the events that affect things to this day. It does a good job making you feel that it's a living world, filled with heroes, villains and how in reality those same heroes and villains aren't as clear cut as stories like them to be.

Unfortunately, the book resorted to tickling my pet peeve and became worse for it. Especially seeing that the plot is solid enough to do without spoiling transparently steering the plot into the required direction.

Final verdict

A solid continuation and I will look forward to the next book in the series, even though I already have a sneaky suspicion how it's going to end in the next book.

Kip will save the day by killing the Color Prince, Liv will change sides in the final moment, and Gavin and Kariss will live happily ever after (or she dies).

(show spoiler)

Let's hope it will be not as clear cut as that.